The Malaysian government, through Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) has announced an RM200 rebate to be given for smartphone purchases costing not more than RM500. This rebate is targeted at people who are still using older phone models and can’t afford a smartphone.
As per MCMC’s announcement, this RM200 smartphone rebate starts on 1 January 2013. To qualify, you must be earning less than RM3,000 a month. The rebate is also only given to Malaysians between the ages of 21 and 30.
MCMC have also identified more than 20 smartphone models which cost within RM500. This also includes global brands such as Samsung with it’s popular Samsung Galaxy Y model.
Criteria’s and Conditions
Eligibility for the smartphone rebate:
- Only available for youths aged 21 to 30
- Monthly income is below RM3000
- If you are not subscribed to any broadband services, you are required to subscribe to a broadband package from the telecommunications provider for the smartphone
- Only one smartphone for each qualified individual
If you qualify for the smartphone rebate:
- You will receive RM200 rebate off selected 3G smartphones from celco nominated registered dealers
- First-come-first-served basis and only for the first 1.5 million eligible youths who may claim their smartphones while stocks last
- With the rebate, you should not pay more than RM300 for your new smartphone
Steps to Apply for RM200 Smartphone Rebate
Applications for the Youth Communication Package (YCP) (or Pakej Komunikasi Belia (PKB)), which comes under the National Broadband Initiative; can be made by registering online at http://nbi.skmm.gov.my beginning from 1 January 2013.
- Once you are at the website, choose “Pakej Komunikasi Belia (PKB)” for information and application.
- Pre-register yourself on the website.
- Print registration slip.
- Bring the printed slip to authorized/selected dealers for verification (Verification may be done using MyKad, police card, military card or student card).
- Choose your phone among the selected smartphone models and get the RM200 rebate discount instantly. You only pay the balance amount after deducting the RM200 rebate amount.
When can I apply for the RM200 smartphone rebate?
This scheme runs from 1 January 2013 until 31 December 2013 or until the government allocated budget of RM300 million have been used.
Selected Smartphone Models For RM200 Rebate
The list (in alphabetical order) of smartphones that will be offered are as below:
- Alcatel 993D
- Alcatel OneTouch Glory 2
- Alcatel OneTouch Inspire 2
- The Buzz Phone
- HTC Wildfire
- Huawei Ideos X3
- LG Optimus L3
- Ninetology Black Pearl II
- Ninetology Palette
- Nokia 2730
- Nokia 7230
- Nokia Asha 305
- Nokia Asha 308
- Nokia Asha 311
- Nokia C2-03
- Nokia Lumia 610
- Samsung Galaxy Chat
- Samsung Galaxy Mini
- Samsung Galaxy Pocket
- Samsung Galaxy Y
- Sony Xperia Tipo
- ZTE Acqua
- ZTE V790
- The above is as at 26 Dec 2012 and the models list will be updated from time to time in the Service Provider’s website;
- The brand, model and quantity offered may differ among different Service Providers.