Learn how to register marriage under Registration of Marriages Ordinance 1952. Application for registration of marriage for:
- Muslim couples who married abroad according to Islamic law; or
- Non-Christian Sabah natives who marry according to their customs; or
- Non-Christian Sarawak natives who marry according to their customs; or
- Non-Christian indigenous couples of Peninsular Malaysia who marry according to their customs.
Application Requirements for Register Marriage Under Registration of Marriages Ordinance 1952
The couple are required to be present at the NRD counter for the application and registration of marriage.
Required Documents for Register Marriage Under Registration of Marriages Ordinance 1952
- Form JPN.KC13 that is completed
- ORIGINAL MyKad
- ORIGINAL passport and photocopy of page with personal details and latest arrival date in Malaysia, if applicable
- ORIGINAL passport and photocopy of date in the passport during which the marriage was registered in the pertinent country , if applicable
- Identity Document used for marriage registration, if applicable
- For Muslim couples:
- Marriage Certificate (Islamic law) (ORIGINAL and photocopy)
- Re-registered marriage certificate issued by the respective Malaysian Islamic Religious Department
- Customary marriage certificate (ORIGINAL and photocopy) from:
- Council for Native Customs and Traditions of Sarawak, for non-Christian Sarawak natives
- Sabah Native Court, for non-Christian Sabah natives
- Department of Indigenous Peoples Development, for non-Christian indigenous couples of Peninsular Malaysia
- ORIGINAL and photocopies of children’s Birth Certificates (if any)
- Wedding Invitation Card (if any) (ORIGINAL and photocopy)
- Wedding photo (according to laws, customs or usage), (if any) (ORIGINAL and photocopy)
- Other supporting documents, if required
- Please note that all the documents must be original in Malay or English otherwise you must include an ORIGINAL Malay or English translation by a qualified translator. The translation must include name, signature, position, contact details of translator and date of translation.
- For document translation completed in Malaysia by Malaysian Court Translator or Malaysian National Institutes of Translation are acceptable without certification by respective embassy in Malaysia and re-certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia.
RM5.00 for Marriage Certificate
Contact Details for Register Marriage Under Registration of Marriages Ordinance 1952
Check the link below for NRD (JPN) branch details and contact details.
National Registration Department Branches