How to Update Marriage Records for Divorce or Annulment?

Learn how to update marriage records for divorce or annulment. This is a submission to the Registrar-General for updating a personal marriage record regarding decree of divorce or annulment granted by high court.

Application Requirements

Updates to the marriage records related to divorce or annulment can be done only at the counters of the National Registration Department Headquarters in Putrajaya or by post addressed to:

Ketua Pengarah
Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara
(Bahagian Perkahwinan dan Perceraian)
No. 20, Persiaran Perdana
Presint 2
(Documents sent by post must include the correct contactible correspondence address).

Required Documents

  • How to Update Marriage Records for Divorce or Annulment?MyKad (photocopy of MyKad if application is by post).
  • ORIGINAL passport (photocopy of the pages with personal details if application is by post).
  • Photocopy of Marriage Certificate.
  • ORIGINAL decree nisi absolute (divorced certificate) or certified true copy by the respective court or pertinent court e-filing.


  • Applicants are advised to make photocopies of the decree nisi absolute (divorced certificate) for future personal use.
  • Non-Muslims Malaysian who registered their marriage under the laws of a foreign country and re-registered with the Malaysian Government (NRD or Malaysian Representative Office) then was divorced in foreign country, an order from a Malaysian High Court is required to endorse the divorced before it can be registered at NRD.

Where to Update Marriage Records for Divorce or Annulment?

Check the link below for NRD (JPN) branch details and contact details.

National Registration Department Branches