The KL Monorail is an intracity public transit monorail system (previously known as Peoplemover Rapid Transit – PRT) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It’s train service was launched on 31 August 2003. The KL Monorail system starts from KL Sentral in Brickfields and ends at Titiwangsa Terminal in Jalan Tun Razak. KL Monorail trains passes through 11 stations at the length of 8.6 km with two parallel elevated tracks. The KL Monorail links many key destinations within the Kuala Lumpur (KL) city area. It passes several major hotels in the city and serves KL’s central commercial, employment, hotel and shopping districts. It connects the Kuala Lumpur Sentral transport hub with the “Golden Triangle” business district.
KL Monorail routes
The 11 stations located along the route alignment are as follows:
- KL Sentral – Next to KL Sentral at Jalan Tun Sambanthan.
- Tun Sambanthan – Next to the Methodist Girls School in Brickfields.
- Maharajalela – Next to Stadium Negara (National Stadium), near China Town (Petaling Street).
- Hang Tuah – Next to Ampang LRT line, near to Pudu Prison.
- Imbi – Between Plaza Berjaya and Berjaya Times Square.
- Bukit Bintang – Between Sungei Wang Plaza and Lot 10 shopping centre.
- Raja Chulan – Between Crowne Plaza Hotel and Menara Promet.
- Bukit Nanas – Near Concorde Hotel.
- Medan Tuanku – Near Sheraton Imperial Hotel.
- Chow Kit – At intersection of Jalan Ipoh, Jalan Pahang, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, and Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz.
- Titiwangsa – At Jalan Tun Razak, next to Ampang LRT line.
The Integrated Urban Rail Network
The KL Monorail is designed to complement and integrate with Kuala Lumpur’s existing and planned urban transportation systems. KL Monorail system links with the other rail systems as follows:
- Rapid KL’s Ampang Line at Titiwangsa Station and Hang Tuah Station
- Rapid KL’s Kelana Jaya Line at Bukit Nanas Station and KL Sentral.
- Express Rail Link (ERL) which is linked to the KL International Airport at KL Sentral.
- KTM Komuter and intercity rail lines at KL Sentral.
KL Monorail Fare
The KL Monorail train fare below is correct as on 2nd March 2009. Please check KL Monorail website for latest fares.
Operating hours: 6 am to 12 midnight
Maximum train speed: 80 km per hour
Average train speed: 30 km per hour
Peak hour frequency: 5 minutes
Off peak hour frequency: 10 minutes
KL Sentral Station- Titiwangsa Station: 21 minutes
KL Sentral Station – Bukit Bintang Station: 11 minutes
Bukit Bintang Station- Titiwangsa Station: 10 minutes
Safety and Security Features
- The KL Monorail is operated manually by a driver with a full fail-safe Automatic Train Protection (ATP) system.
- Advanced and reliable signaling system is used.
- There are closed circuit TV cameras (CCTV) on station platforms and inside the trains.
- Stations are equipped with various facilities including communications links with emergency services.
- The system is equipped with auxiliary power to dispatch all trains to the nearest station in the event of power failure.
Jalan Tebing, Brickfields,
50470 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +6(03)2267 9888
Fax: +6(03)2267 9999