The Ministry Of Federal Territories was established in 1979 to perform the duties and functions specified in the Ministerial Functions Act 1969. At the time, the Ministry Of Federal Territories also served as a planning and development co-ordinator for Kuala Lumpur and the Klang Valley area in line with the establishment of the Klang Valley Regional Planning Council and Klang Valley Regional Working Committee.
In 1981, the status of the Ministry Of Federal Territories was downgraded to a division under the administration of the Prime Minister’s Department (JPM), which operated as the Klang Valley Planning Unit. To meet the needs of the development strategies of the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Labuan, the Federal Territories Development and Klang Valley Planning Division was established in 1984 to implement the development policies of the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Labuan.
Following the Cabinet reshuffle on 27 Mac 2004, the Federal Territories Ministry was re-established to pay special attention to the development of the Federal Territories (Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Putrajaya) besides co-ordinating the Klang Valley Planning as specified in the Ministerial Functions Act 1969 (latest amendments).
During the tabling the 2010 Budget on 23 October 2009, the Honourable Prime Minister announced that the functions and responsibilities of the Federal Territories Ministry would be strengthened and expanded to eradicate urban poverty nationwide and to implement urban well-being programmes. Towards this end, the Federal Territories Ministry became officially known as the Ministry Of Federal Territories And Urban Wellbeing on 13 November 2009.
Functions and Roles of Ministry of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing
To plan, manage, implement, monitor and evaluate progress and development with focus on:
- The Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur – as the Capital of Malaysia and a World-Class City;
- The Federal Territory of Putrajaya – as an orderly, vibrant, energetic and prosperous Federal Government Administrative Centre;
- The Federal Territory of Labuan – as a developed, beautiful and prosperous business centre, oil and gas hub, international financial centre and tourist destination;
- Efficient and effective Federal Territory land management and administration;
- Excellent Federal Territory sports development;
- Coordinating plans for a balanced development of the Klang Valley;
- Eradicating urban poverty nationwide; and
- Implementing urban well-being programmes.
Divisions Under Ministry of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing
- Corporate Communication Division
- Development Management Division
- Federal Territories Land Executive Committee Secretariat
- Information Management Division
- Internal Audit Division
- Legal Advisers Office
- Management Services Division
- Policy Planning Division
- Strategic Development Division
- Urban Well-being Division
Contact Details of Ministry of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing Malaysia
Ministry of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing (Kementerian Wilayah Persekutuan Dan Kesejahteraan Bandar)
Address: Aras 1-4, Blok 2, Menara PJH, Presint 2, 62100 Putrajaya, Malaysia.
Telephone: 603-8889 7888
Fax: 603-8888 0375
Web Site: http://www.kwpkb.gov.my/
Staff Directory: http://www.kwpkb.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=228&Itemid=27&lang=ms