The Ministry of Housing and Local Government was established on 24 May 1964 as the Ministry of Local Government and Housing. Following a Cabinet reshuffle on 18 July 1978, the Ministry was renamed the Ministry of Housing and Local Government. This was the result of a merger between the Ministry of Housing and Rural Development and the Department of Local Government which was previously part of the Ministry of Local Government and the Federal Territory.
Functions of Ministry of Housing and Local Government:
- Planning and implementation of KPKT policies to achieve primary national development goals.
- Provision of adequate housing for all citizens, particularly for the low-income group.
- Setting up of Local Authorities which are strong and able to contribute to the establishment of a progressive society and a clean and healthy environment.
- Provision of efficient Fire and Rescue Services for the safety of life and property.
- Strengthening and implementation of physical, social, economic, and town and country environment planning in accordance with the Town and Country Planning Act. 1976.
Objectives of Ministry of Housing and Local Government:
- To establish and implement comprehensive and uniform nationwide rural and urban planning to strengthen and promote physical, social, economic and environmental development.
- To encourage, develop and guide Local Authorities to establish high quality urban, social and recreation services and to provide opportunities for uniform economic growth.
- To ensure adequate comfortable and balanced housing development, complete with social and recreational facilities.
- To ensure the safety of life and property through preventive and supervisory services regarding fire and dangerous materials, efficient and effective emergency and rescue services and the raising of public awareness and education on fires and fire prevention.
- To develop landscaping, parks, and quality recreational facilities and achieve the objective of making Malaysia a garden nation.
Contact Details of Ministry of Housing and Local Government Malaysia
Ministry of Housing and Local Government (Kementerian Perumahan dan Kerajaan Tempatan)
Address: Aras 3-7 Blok K, Pusat Bandar Damansara, Peti Surat 12579, 50782 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Telephone: 603-2094 7033
Fax: 603-2094 9720
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Web Site: http://www.kpkt.gov.my/
Staff Directory: http://www.kpkt.gov.my/contact/