The Ministry of Commerce and Industry was established in April 1956 and situated in Government Office, Jalan Raja. The Ministry was then renamed the Ministry of Trade and Industry in February 1972. On 27 October 1990, the Ministry was separated into two Ministries which are:
- Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI); and
- Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDN).
Functions of Ministry of International Trade and Industry
- To plan, formulate and implement policies on industrial development, international trade and investment.
- To encourage foreign and domestic investment.
- To promote Malaysia’s exports of manufacturing products and services by strengthening bilateral, multilateral and regional trade relations and cooperation.
- To enhance national productivity and competitiveness in the manufacturing sector.
Divisions of Ministry of International Trade and Industry
- International Trade
- Industrial Development
- Strategic Planning
- Management Services
- Legal Advisor Office
- Internal Audit Office
- Corporate Communications Unit
Contact Details of Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) Malaysia
Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) (Kementerian Perdagangan Antarabangsa dan Industri)
Address: Blok 8 & 10, Kompleks Pejabat Kerajaan, Jalan Duta, 50622 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Telephone: 603-6203 3022
Fax: 603-6203 2337
Web Site: http://www.miti.gov.my/
Staff Directory: http://www.miti.gov.my/cms/officerDirectory.jsp