The Institut Kefahaman Islam Malaysia – IKIM (Institute of Islamic Understanding Malaysia) has been established to promote the real understanding of Islam in order to sanctify the true teachings of the religion without indulging in rhetoric or diverging from the correct path. In promoting the understanding of Islam on a global scale, IKIM provides an open and free environment for everyone to voice his or her opinions in addressing pertinent issues.
The global scenario is constantly changing. The changes that have taken place are unprecedented. These changes are brought about among others by technological, social, economic and political developments. Consequently, the integrity of a race, Muslim or otherwise, is being tested.
Today, Muslim are found all over the world. The varied and diverse cultures and ideologies of the Muslim ummah have brought forth a challenge in forming and forging understanding of Islam as a religion and a complete code of life.
Islamic teachings are based on Holy Quran and traditions of the Prophet. They encompass a comprehensive system of life that practices openness, dynamism and tolerance.
In the light of efforts by Muslims to regain the greatness of the previous Muslim civilization, they are faced with various elements that are against the teachings of Islam. This, coupled with the disinformation propagated by the mass media, has had a negative impact on Islam and the Muslims.
Functions of Institut Kefahaman Islam Malaysia – IKIM (Institute of Islamic Understanding Malaysia)
In promoting the understanding of Islam on a global scale, IKIM provides an open and free environment for everyone to voice his or her opinions in addressing pertinent issues.
Briefly, the activities of IKIM are as follows:
- To carry out intensive and integrated research activities which emphasize the role of Islam and the Ummah, and how they are to face the current challenges as a result of the changing role.
- To publish and issue newsletters, magazines, journals and books for public consumption and for specific target groups.
- To organize conferences, forums, discussions, seminars and dialogues aimed at enriching and encouraging intellectual discourse, and to assist in seeking solutions to prevailing issues.
- To co-operate with both local and international organizations and institutions in undertaking joint programmes for mutual benefit.
The Institute also focuses on research covering:
- Strategic issues
- Issues on globalization
- Implementation of the Islamic economic system
- Implementation of the Islamic legal system
- Inter-faith relations
- Scientific and technological development
- Environmental issues
- Human right issues
- Socio-economic and political issues
Contact Details of Institut Kefahaman Islam Malaysia – IKIM (Institute of Islamic Understanding Malaysia)
2, Langgak Tunku,
Off Jalan Duta,
50480 Kuala Lumpur,
Telephone: 03 6204 6200
Fax: 03 6201 4189