Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (Agensi Penguatkuasaan Maritim Malaysia) was formed as a result of a study undertaken by the Malaysian government in April 1999. The study revealed that enforcement was not effective because too many agencies were involved that resulted in overlapping functions, overlapping jurisdiction, and uneconomical use of resources.
Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency began with the creation of a Nucleus team, tasked with making the necessary efforts in the establishment of the agency. The agency was formally established with the enactment of the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency Act 2004. Subsequently, the Act was gazetted on 1 July 2004 and came into force on 15 February 2005. The agency achieved operational status on 30 November 2005 with a soft launch. Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency was officially launched by the Hon. Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia on 21 March 2006.
Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (Agensi Penguatkuasaan Maritim Malaysia) Functions
To enforce law and order under any federal law;
- To perform maritime search and rescue;
- To prevent and suppress the commission of an offence;
- To lend assistance in any criminal matters on a request by a foreign State as provided under the Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters Act 2002 (Act 621);
- To carry out air and coastal surveillance;
- To establish and manage maritime institutions for training;
- To ensure maritime security and safety;
- Perform any obligation to ensure maritime safety and security or do all matters incidental to its
- Control and prevention of maritime pollution in the seas.
- Prevent and suppress piracy and illicit trafficking of narcotic drugs on the high seas.
- Placed under the control of the Malaysian Armed Forces during a period of emergency special crisis orwar.
Contact Details of Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (Agensi Penguatkuasaan Maritim Malaysia)
Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency,
Prime Minister’s Department,
Level 4-11, One IOI Square,
IOI Resort, 62502 Putrajaya,
Telephone: 03 8995 7000
Fax: 03 8941 4000
Telephone: 03 89434001
Fax: 03 89414527