The Ministry of Natural Resources & Environment (NRE) was established on March 27, 2004 following the formation of a new cabinet by the Prime Minister.
NRE had undertaken few departments from four ministries :
- Department of Director General of Lands and Mines (JKPTG), Department of Survey & Mapping Malaysia (JUPEM) and National Institute of Land and Survey (INSTUN) from Ministry of Land and Co-operative Development (KTPK).
- Forestry Department Peninsular Malaysia (JPSM), Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM) and Minerals and Geoscience Department Malaysia (JMG) from Ministry of Primary Industries (KPU).
- Department of Environment (JAS) and Department of Wildlife & National Parks Peninsular Malaysia (PERHILITAN) from Ministry of Science Technology and Environment (MOSTI).
- Department of Irrigation and Drainage (JPS) and National Hydraulic Research Institute of Malaysia (NAHRIM) from Ministry of Agriculture (MOA).
Responsibilities of Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (NRE)
Natural resources management:
- Forest management.
- Irrigation and drainage management.
- Wildlife management.
- Minerals management.
Conservation and management of environment and shelters:
- Environmental conservation.
- Marine park management.
Management of land survey and mapping administration:
- Land management and administration.
- Land surveying.
- Mapping processing.
Functions of Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (NRE)
- Legislate policy, laws, procedure and guidelines related to natural resources management and environmental conservation.
- Monitor, coordinate and assess the implementation of policy, laws, procedure, guidelines and services while performing continuous restoration on natural resources management and environmental conservation.
- Manage training programmes and human resource development to produce competent working society and members of knowledge society.
- Provide adequate infrastructure and tools to equip departments and agencies.
- Inspire research and development (R&D) efforts in natural resources management and environmental conservation to enhance value added natural development.
- Ascertain and maintain boundary issues to assure national interest, sovereignty and security.
- Leading in information establishment and management of national geospatial and aspatial.
- Ensuring natural resources planning and development with environmental conservation are well integrated.
- Coordinate, supervise and enforce the legislations of natural resources management and environmental conservation.
- Acts as a focal point for multi-lateral negotiations focusing on natural resources and environmental matters.
- Safeguarding national interest in regional and international negotiations in terms of natural resources and environment.
- Enhancing public awareness and public support in identifying the importance of well balanced utilization of natural resources and conservation of the environment.
- Establish smart partnership among various authorities in managing natural resources and environment.
- Ensure continuous improvement of the service delivery system in managing natural resources and environment.
Divisions under Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (NRE)
- Mineral and Geoscience Division
- Biodiversity and Forestry Management Division
- Water Resources Drainage and Hydrology Division
- Land, Survey and Mapping Division
- Environmental Management and Climate Change Division
- Malaysian Centre for Geospatial data Infrastructure (MaCGDI)
- Development Division
- Human Resources and Management Division
- Administration and Finance Division
- Information Management Division
- Internal Audit Unit
- Legal Advisory Unit
- Corporate Communication Unit
Contact Details of Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment Malaysia
Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (Kementerian Sumber Asli dan Alam Sekitar)
Address: Wisma Sumber Asli, No.25 Persiaran Perdana, Precint 4, 62574 Putrajaya, Malaysia.
Telephone: 603-8886 1111
Fax: 603-8889 2672
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Web Site: http://www.nre.gov.my/
Staff Directory: http://www.nre.gov.my/Malay/Hubungi-Kami/Pages/Direktori-NRE.aspx