The Department of Civil Engineering offers a four-year, Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) programme. The programme incorporates all the major sub-disciplines in civil engineering; structural engineering, water and environmental engineering, highway and traffic engineering, geotechnical and geological engineering, construction projects management and geomatic engineering.
The Objectives(PEO) and Outcomes(PO) of this program ensure that Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) is relevant for the years to come.
The programme is accredited by the Malaysian Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC) and certified by the Board of Engineers, Malaysia. The programme goes through a periodical review every 5 years by the EAC to ensure the continual suitability and relevance to the need of the nation and industry. An integral part of the accreditation is the report by independent external reviewer/assessors, who are renown professors from established and prestigious world class universities. The assessments on the programme and examination processes by the external reviewers are carried out annually. Outcome Based Education (OBE) has also been adopted as the main approach of teaching and learning at the department.
Bachelor of Civil Engineering Curriculum
The curriculum and Programme Structure of the Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) programme is designed to focus on knowledge and skills in the civil engineering covering a period of 4 years (8 semesters).
A total of 138 credit hours are required for graduation, including a 6-credit hour final year project. In the final year, students are allowed to select four elective courses from one of the sub-disciplines, in line with their inclination and interest. The final year students are also required to undertake a major engineering design project, to equip themselves for work upon graduation.
Students are required to undergo a minimum of 10 weeks of industrial training in private firms or government agencies during the vacation period after their sixth semester. This training provides the students with the opportunity to learn first hand the reality of work in the industry and enables them to see the relevance of the academic programme that they follow.
1.0: Minimum Requirements for STPM Applicants
1.1: University’s General Requirements
- Obtained a good pass in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examination or its equivalent.
- Obtained a pass in the Malay Language subject at the SPM level;
- Obtained a pass in the STPM examination with at least
- CGPA of 2.00 (Grade C) in General Studies
- CGPA of 2.00 (Grade C) in two (2) other subjects.
- Malaysian University English Test (MUET): At least Band 3
1.2: Specific Requirement
- Obtained at least a Grade B (GPA 3.00) in Additional Mathematics and Physics at the STPM level
2.0: Minimum requirement for Matriculation KPM applicants / Science Foundation, UM / Foundation year UiTM.
2.1: University’s General Requirements
- Obtained a good pass in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examination or equivalent;
- Obtained a pass with a successful grade in the Malay Language subject at the SPM level or its equivalent.
- Obtained a pass in Matriculation / Science Foundation, UM with a CGPA of at least 2.00
- Malaysia University English Test (MUET): At least Band 3
- Obtained a CGPA of at least 3.00 and to have at least obtained a Grade B in Mathematics and Physics.
Universiti Putra Malaysia Location Map
Universiti Putra Malaysia Contact Details
Universiti Putra Malaysia,
43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor,
Phone: +6(03)8946 6377
Fax: +6(03)8656 7129